05 December 2012

Collecting Colour : December is Red

I am not a lady in red. I wore red once, to my Year 11 or 12 formal, and it was a mistake (oh dear lord it was a huge mistake). Other than that my wardrobe has been a distinctly red free zone. I don't wear red on my lips either, and it's only on very rare occasions you'll see it on my toes. If you can believe it I don't even own a single pair of red shoes (and I have quite the shoe collection!). 

But here's the thing, I sometimes wish I was a lady in red. One of those women who can rock long devil red nails, cherry patent leather pumps, a bright pout and a figure hugging frock. Red is seductive but powerful, sexy but smart. It makes me think of amazing, gorgeous ladies like Gwen Stefani, Annie Lennox, Scarlett Johansson and...Jessica Rabbit. One day, I will go out in red lipstick. One day. 

On the flip side red also makes me think of deliciousness - think summer berries, the perfectly ripe tomato, chillies, apples - all things red and tasty! Quite the complex colour red, isn't it? 

In this collection there is a tomato and some chillies, and there's also one of my most treasured possessions, a Luigi Colani elephant money box (this one); two paper punches (including one rather seasonal snow flake - it's snowing as I type this! Hurrah!); some ShapeMaker blocks; a tube of Lucas' paw paw ointment (I carry one with me wherever I go); lots of bits and pieces from our time in Hong Kong (a Year of the Rat ornament, funeral paper, double happiness paper cut...); an ace lego scorpion made by the eldest step son; an origami thing of awesome made by the youngest step son; a magnet from Paris (the hotel in Vegas, not the city); a dog toy in the shape of a candy cane which will be going under the tree for Ferdi in a few weeks; some toy cars, some books and a little container from Dinosaur Designs. 

The collection turned out a bit too messy for my control freak tastes, but I do love how vibrant it is!

* * * * * * *

Every month through 2012 I'll be 'collecting colour', and you can join in too!  Link up below, and/or add your photo to the Flickr group here.  And go here to get all the information you need.  


5 comments:

  1. I remember that red dress, I thought it was pretty good - not that I've seen it in (crikey) eighteen or so years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right - I think the dress itself was okay, it's just that in all the photos (or at least in my memory of all the photos) I'm looking hunched over and awfully uncomfortable, with garish make up and terrible hair...

      Delete
  2. I love your Luigi Colani elephant money box!

    I don't wear a lot of red but I'm always drawn to red things… I'm looking forward to putting together this month's collection! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice! What in incredible collection of reds you have! I can't believe this is your 12th post on collecting colour!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happier than you could possibly imagine. Really! Thank you.