24 November 2010

In the news..


Gosh, well, we have been in the news a bit lately.  Well, not us personally, but Korea.  Or 'the Koreas' as the case may be.  It seems the rest of the world is already shouting 'WAR!' but the people of Seoul seem to be saying 'no, we don't think so, not yet anyway'.

Despite all the press it's very much business as usual here.  People working and studying and battling the traffic.  And no one seems to be stockpiling noodles or toilet paper (though some are declaring their willingness to die for their country on Twitter.  Goodo).

It seems to be just another reminder that we have a rather crazy neighbour, who no one really understands and who no one really knows quite how to deal with.  Do you take a tough stand and risk escalation?  Or do you placate and hand over trucks of rice and basically say it's ok for you to be crazy and unpredictable and to enslave and impoverish your population, just try not to kill too many of our guys?

For the moment, everything is normal.  But I must admit I am checking my 'Korea' Twitter list more often than usual (yes, Twitter is my main source of news, it really has been fantastic).  And I did wake up at 3am because I heard a strange noise outside that might have been an air raid siren (it wasn't, obviously).  But really, everything is fine.  It seems another part of the ongoing cycle of flare up then escalation than friends again.

Anyhow, I'll be back later to tell you a bit about my trip to Australia.  In the meantime, I'm off to by a box of noodles.

1 comment:

  1. Its so easy to forget how crazy the world is sometimes, I would be quite worried myself and yes would of assumed any noise were raid sirens too !

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happier than you could possibly imagine. Really! Thank you.