28 July 2010

Thailand!









































































Today is scratchy eyes and very tired and can't-the-world-just-leave-me-alone-ness BUT yesterday was nothing much to do except eat and read in Phuket, Thailand.

Some good things:

- A dinner and a lunch at Baan Rim Pa, quite possibly my favourite restaurant in the world. Beautiful location (overlooking the beach just outside of Patong), super tasty Thai food, lovely service...and they make a mean lychee martini.  If you're ever in Phuket, you must go there.

- Unless you are in need of a pirated DVD or a carved wooden elephant, Patong is a bit of a shopping wasteland so it was a pleasant surprise indeed to find the beautiful boutique that is Baru.  Full of bright summer frocks, beautiful silk clutch purses and spectacular swim wear - all fabulously embellished with beading and embroidery - Baru also stood out because of it's locally and ethically made ethos.  Their stuff is available on-line, but it's a pity the product shots really don't do justice to the careful craft and design in each piece.

- Spectacular storms and sunsets.  Having a few days to just sit and watch an ever changing sky, what luxury!

The quick little trip also reminded me that despite the downsides of living in Asia (being away from friends and family and a complete lack of good cheddar are two that spring to mind), we really are very lucky to have this opportunity.  Everywhere is just so ridiculously close!  And if this seems a strange statement, you are clearly not an Australian.  Australia really is miles and miles and miles from anywhere.  Which kinda sucks, if you like to travel.

Vietnam is next on my list (just have to convince the husband it's worth visiting...)

Update! You can see more photos here

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Vietnam is SO worth visiting! Hi, I just came across your blog and am loving the mix of travel and craft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So nice to hear you like the blog - it's a new venture for me...

    And yep, I'm totally focussed on convincing the husband re: Vietnam, everyone raves about it and I rank Vietnamese food right up there with Thai food.

    ps. looking forward to reading more on your lovely blog too, sounds like you guys have had some adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes visit Vietnam and take lots of photos for me !

    ReplyDelete
  4. did I sat ho wmuch I love those flowery things, stunning photo!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happier than you could possibly imagine. Really! Thank you.